Thursday, September 20, 2007

On Becoming Men

















If there's one thing you could say about these boys of mine, it is that they LOVE Crayola markers. Love, love, love them. One of their favorite pasttimes is decorating their legs, arms, faces and torsos with all different shades to become "warriors". They do it so often that it's not even worth trying to clean them up to take them out in public....which means that yes, I do get some wonderful looks from my fellow shoppers at Fred Meyer. But they love to play the role of fighters.
Brenda and I were laughing recently about the huge number of baby boys being born recently. She joked that the reason our new baby is another boy is because I am friends with her, and she ONLY knows people that have boys. At the time, we just thought it was funny.....but then I started hearing from other mommas (who also have only sons) that even within the schools, the younger classes are FULL of boys, with only a handful of girls. And suddenly I was hit with the sobering thought: Whatever could be coming in the next 20 years that might require an insurgence of Godly young men?


..."Now as He sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, 'Tell us, when will these things be? And what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?' And Jesus answered and said to them....'You will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not troubled, for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. And there will be famines, pestilence, and earthquakes in various places. All these are the beginning of sorrows'" Matthew 24: 3-8


I am feeling new resolve to train my sons in the way they should go.


"Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, so are the children of one's youth. Happy is the man who has his quiver full of them!" Psalm 127:4-5

4 comments:

  1. Ah, Kimberly, you and your whole family bless my heart mightily. As fortunate as I feel to be related to you, my heart fairly bursts at the thought that we will all be together for eternity.
    Yes, there is a time coming soon when the need for Godly men will be great. How special that God has chosen you and Justin to contribute to the cause. Remember Philippians 4:6 and 7

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just quoted that very verse in Psalm 127 today to someone, can you guess why? Your words are poignant and so very true. What a task we have at hand and how great that our God is more than up to seeing us through it. Much love to you. My kids and I laughed out loud as we looked at your pictures. What great little men you are raising!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have oftened wondered the same thing. Especially so as I went to the first day of Kindergarten with my youngest only to learn that of the 60 five year olds, only 22 were girls. That's almost 3 to 1.
    Let's press on as we raise these young men who will one day be our leaders. You two are the God's perfect selection to raise a quiver of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I realize that you wrote this MANY months ago, but if this means anything, rest assure that God is creating many boys around the world. Out of 10 ladies i was pregnant with, no joke, 12 boys were born (one set of twins). Pretty amazing hey? In Silas' preschool class there are 12 boys and 4 girls. So even in Australia boys are being born at a rapid rate. I've heard that in times of war more boys are born than girls. Like you, i'm excited for what God is fashioning our boys for.

    ReplyDelete