Monday, June 9, 2008

Bored With Breakfast?

Try this!

Here's a Cooking Light recipe I've been wanting to try for a while; I finally made the couscous this morning and we all devoured it. I made a double batch and scrambled a dozen eggs and a few of the boys were still hungry...guess I'll have to make even more next time. But it still worked out to be an inexpensive breakfast, and oh so good! We splurged and bought the craisins, and walnuts are a staple in my freezer, but I'm sure you could just use what you have and omit what you don't. This basically tastes like a fancy oatmeal.

***Oh, and here's the coolest part--if you substitute 1/2 cup dry milk for the regular milk, and increase the water to 1 1/4 cups--it's a CAMPING BREAKFAST! Just boil the water alone, then stir in the dry milk before adding everything else. How's that for wonderful? I am definitely making this on our next camping trip...

Breakfast Couscous
1/4 cup water
1 cup milk
1/2 cup uncooked couscous
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
2T brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
Toss together couscous, cranberries, raisins, walnuts, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt in a mixing bowl; set aside. Bring water and milk to a boil in a saucepan, stirring constantly. Once mixture boils, take it off the heat and stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover and let stand 10 minutes, then stir, and serve!

1 comment:

  1. cool Kim, sounds good! I will have to give it a try b/c the girls love couscous! thanks!

    ReplyDelete